Compensation Claims Against the Council

Local councils are responsible for maintaining roads and pavements in their local areas but failing to do this can result in serious injury.


Fill in our simple form and get a call back at a time to suit you.
Alternatively our team are on hand 24/7 to discuss your case.
You can call them on:
0800 567 7866

Making a compensation claim against the council

Your local council has a legal responsibility to make sure that pavements, roads, and other council property are all fully maintained and don’t pose a risk.

There are many ways in which a local authority could be responsible for an accident. For example, this could include allowing potholes to develop, causing a serious bicycle accident. It can also include not maintaining the apparatus at a park, causing your child to be hurt.

If a local council has allowed an accident to happen that it could have prevented, you may be able to make a personal injury compensation claim. And First4Lawyers could help you do it.

What types of claims can be made against the council?

Councils are required to make sure that the property they are responsible for is well maintained and safe for use. If it isn’t and you or a loved one is hurt, you could make a claim.

You may be able to claim for the following accidents and injuries:

  • Accidents on roads and pavements

Damaged curbs and broken paving slabs can result in slips, trips, or falls for pedestrians.

Potholes, worn road markings, incorrect signage and broken streetlights can cause road traffic accidents.

Potholes must be at least 40mm deep and pavement stones have to be sticking up at least one inch for a claim to be made.

  • Injuries in council houses

Although council housing is now a small proportion of the homes in the UK, some council-owned housing does still exist.

Faulty electrical appliances, broken roofing tiles, loose guttering, damaged carpets, uncleared gardens and broken bannisters can all cause injuries.

  • Injuries in council-run properties

If you’ve been hurt in a property run by the council, you could make a claim.

This could be down to poor lighting, badly maintained carpeting or flooring or broken stairs, among other reasons.

  • Injuries in public parks and playgrounds

Poorly maintained climbing frames, slides and swings can all cause injuries.

If your child has been hurt, you could make a claim for them at any point until they turn 18. On their 18th birthday, they will then have three years to begin a claim for themselves.

Accidents at schools

Local education authorities (LEA) are required to maintain the grounds in and around public schools to keep children safe.

If this is not done then your child could end up with significant injuries. We understand how stressful it can be when your child is hurt. We’ve helped many parents who have wanted to get justice on behalf of their child. And we could help you make a school injury claim if it is the LEA’s fault.

Making a claim against the council

If you believe that the council is to blame for your injury because they have failed in their duty to maintain something owned by them, then you may be entitled to claim.

If you wish to start your claim then get in touch with us at First4Lawyers and our advisors will be more than happy to help you get the ball rolling.

You may be able to help prove that the council is responsible for your injury by:

  • Getting the contact details of any witnesses
  • Making a note of the police incident number if they were involved
  • Recording measurements of the pothole or other defects that caused your injury
  • Taking photos of where the injury took place

No Win No Fee council compensation claims

We aim to help you in your time of need – when you’ve been injured and it wasn’t your fault. We do this by offering you a No Win No Fee policy.

That means you won’t have to pay anything if your claim is unsuccessful, meaning there is nothing to lose.

You also don’t have to pay anything upfront, leaving you able to focus on your recovery instead.

Only pay a fee if you receive compensation

Our No Win No Fee solicitors will take a success fee from the compensation you are awarded for a successful claim in the form of a percentage of your damages. This could be up to 25% but it won't be more than that, except in cases of road traffic accidents and housing disrepair. Changing laws mean our solicitors will now take a payment of 35% of the final compensation amount plus VAT for all road traffic accident and housing disrepair claims.

First4Lawyers are an award-winning claims management company with a track record of delivering service that our clients love.

How much compensation will I get?

As with all personal injury claims, the amount of compensation you receive depends on the severity of your injuries.

Your compensation will include general damages, which compensate you for the pain and suffering your injury has caused. If you want to work out what you could receive in general damages, try our simple compensation calculator.

You will also receive special damages, which cover any financial impact. This can help to ensure your family is still provided for as you can claim back any lost wages if you’ve been unable to work.

If you’d like a clearer idea of what you might be entitled to in compensation, just get in touch. Our table below could also give you an idea of what you could claim.

Body Part Affected



Possible Amount


Severe Fractures

May lead to partial amputations and result in grip impairment and reduced function

Up to £36,740



May result in persisting pain and stiffness

£12,590 to £24,500



Full recovery after one year

In the region of £3,530



Simple fracture of the forearm

£6,610 to £19,200


Less Serious

Fractures where an incomplete recovery is made

£17,960 to £27,760



For example, a compression fracture leading to risk of osteoarthritis and constant pain

£27,760 to £38,780



When a full recovery is made within three months

Up to £2,450



Injury associated with incomplete paraplegia or leading to little or no movement in the neck and severe headaches

In the region of £148,330



Brain damage may not occur or be minimal

£2,210 to £12,770


Very Severe

Brain damage will be severe and will likely require constant care

£282,010 to £403,990

How can First4Lawyers help?

We work with expert injury solicitors with years of experience in handling claims made against the council. They will take care of the work involved in putting together a claim against the council so you don’t have to. We do the heavy lifting for you.

First4Lawyers and our solicitors work hard to get you the best possible outcome – the justice and compensation you deserve.

Start your claim today by calling us, starting your claim online, or requesting a call back.


It seems you are using an outdated browser.

This will impair your browsing experience around the web. Please visit one of the links below to update to a modern browser then re-open the site with the new browser.

Thank you


Can't find what you are looking for?

We are open as normal during the Coronavirus lockdown and are able to help with all your legal needs.

Call us free of charge

0800 567 7866

Request a Callback

Continue browsing