Personal Injury Claims

If you’ve been hurt in an accident that wasn’t your fault, our expert personal injury solicitors could help you claim the compensation you’re entitled to.

Request a Callback

We'll put you in touch with the right solicitor to suit your needs.

By submitting an enquiry to First4Lawyers you agree to the terms and conditions of service as outlined in our Privacy Policy.

What is a personal injury claim?

A personal injury is any injury or illness caused by someone else’s negligence. Legally, you are entitled to compensation when this happens to you.

Compensation for a personal injury claim can help give you the best chance of recovery.

When you make a personal injury claim, your solicitor could also help you get the treatment you may need – from physiotherapy to dental work, counselling to surgery. Making a personal injury claim is about ensuring you have the resources you need to help you get better.

You could be able to make a personal injury claim if you were involved in an accident that:

  • Happened in the last three years
  • Caused you harm
  • Was caused by someone else – either wholly or partly – and there is evidence to support this

In most cases, you will claim against the insurer of the party responsible for your accident, whether that’s another driver, your employer or a medical professional.

What personal injury types can I claim for?

The ways in which you could be injured are almost endless. Some of the most common forms of personal injury claims include:

Accident at work claims
Workplaces should be safe environments, where you can carry out your duties without fear of being hurt. But accidents happen and if you’ve been injured through your employer’s negligence, you could make a claim for compensation.

Faulty product injury claims
The last thing you expect when you buy something new is to be injured by it. However, this can does happen when a product doesn’t work properly. If you’ve been hurt by a faulty or defective product, you could take legal action.

Industrial disease claims
Suffering from an illness caused by your work can be devastating. But if your employer’s negligence was the reason for it, you could be able to take legal action by making a claim for compensation to cover your pain and suffering.

Medical negligence claims
You don’t expect that your doctor or other medical professional will cause you harm. But in cases of medical negligence, this is exactly what could happen. If this has happened to you, you’re entitled to compensation to help your recovery.

Road traffic accident claims
Roads can be dangerous, with the amount of vehicles now present on them. If you’ve been involved in a road accident that wasn’t your fault and that caused you to suffer an injury, First4Lawyers can help you pursue justice.

Slip, trip or fall claims
Slips, trips and falls can be both painful and embarrassing. If more than just your pride was hurt during a fall in a public place and someone’s negligence was responsible, you could make a compensation claim.

Sports injury claims
You don’t have to be a professional athlete to suffer a sports injury. If you were a participant or even a spectator and were injured as a result of someone else’s negligence, you could make a compensation claim.

How can I fund a personal injury claim?

No Win No Fee was introduced to make justice accessible to everyone, not just the wealthy. It means that anyone with a genuine personal injury claim can take legal action to get them the compensation they are entitled to.

In most cases, your injury lawyer will be able to make a claim for you on a No Win No Fee basis. This arrangement means that you won’t pay anything until the outcome of your claim is decided. There is no upfront payment to worry about.

A No Win No Fee personal injury claim also means that you won’t have to pay any legal fees if your claim is not successful. Instead of worrying about how you’ll pay for your legal services, you can focus on your recovery.

If you are awarded compensation for your claim, your injury lawyer will take a success fee. This will usually be 25% of your compensation, but it will never be more, except in road traffic accident claims. In these cases, your solicitor will typically recover 35% + VAT. Your lawyer will discuss their success fee with you at the start of your claim so there are no surprise costs later.

Only pay a fee if you receive compensation

Our No Win No Fee solicitors will take a success fee from the compensation you are awarded for a successful claim in the form of a percentage of your damages. This could be up to 25% but it won't be more than that, except in cases of road traffic accidents and housing disrepair. Changing laws mean our solicitors will now take a payment of 35% of the final compensation amount plus VAT for all road traffic accident and housing disrepair claims.

First4Lawyers are an award-winning claims management company with a track record of delivering service that our clients love.

How much compensation can I claim for a personal injury?

Every accident and resulting injury is different. This makes it difficult to say exactly what you might be entitled to in compensation without a free initial consultation with our expert team.

Our compensation calculator could give you a rough idea of what you might receive for certain injuries. The exact figure you could be awarded will depend on your specific injury, how severe it is and how it will affect you – both now and in the future.

Successful personal injury claims will see compensation split into two parts:

  • General Damages

General damages are awarded for the pain and suffering you’ve been through because of your injury. This covers any changes you’ve had to make to your lifestyle, such as having to give up a favourite hobby or activity.

  • Special Damages

Special damages are awarded to compensate for any negative financial impact your injury has had on your life. This can include a loss of earnings if you’ve been unable to work, as well as any medical treatment you’ve had to pay for, such as physiotherapy.

Personal Injury Compensation Calculator

Calculate your compensation in 4 easy steps...

To start your compensation calculation, please select the affected area of your body...

Now isolate the area of your body that was injured...

Choose the type of injury...

  • In these cases brain damage, if any, will be minimal.
  • Where a good recovery has been made but symptoms such as poor concentration and memory problems continue.
  • Where ability to work is reduced and there is a risk of epilepsy.
  • The injured person is very seriously disabled and is dependent on others.
  • Epilepsy has been caused as a consequence of the injury.
  • Affecting the ability to cope with life and/or work or affecting relationships with family and friends.
  • The injured person largely recovers within two years.
  • Injury causes effects that cause significant disability for the foreseeable future, or permanently.
  • In consequence of defective permanent waving etc. where effects are dermatitis or hair loss leading to distress and effects on social life.
  • Where hair has been pulled out leaving bald patches, or stress-induced alopecia with full recovery within two years.
  • Resulting in pain and temporary interference with vision.
  • Permanent impairment of vision in one or both eyes.
  • Total loss of sight in one eye and reduced vision or other problems with the other eye
  • Total loss of sight in one eye only.
  • Mild tinnitus with some hearing loss
  • With noise induced hearing loss, or moderate to severe tinnitus, or noise induced hearing loss alone.
  • With noise induced hearing loss
  • With or without associated problems such as tinnitus, dizziness or headaches.
  • With or without the speech being affected, or tinnitus.
  • Full recovery with no surgery required.
  • Where recovery is complete after surgery
  • Injuries requiring a number of operations and/or resulting in permanent damage.
  • Simple fracture of the cheekbone, which will fully recover without surgery.
  • Simple fracture of the cheekbone requiring some reconstructive surgery, but with full recovery and little or no cosmetic effects.
  • Serious fractures causing lasting effects such as burning/prickling sensation or an element of disfigurement.
  • Requiring immobilisation but recovery is complete.
  • Serious injury causing permanent damage, such as difficulty eating or opening the mouth.
  • Very serious multiple fractures requiring prolonged treatment. Permanent effects such as severe pain, restricted eating.
  • Assessed per tooth.
  • Single tooth only.
  • Extends over a number of years, including significant deterioration of overall condition of the teeth.
  • Where full recovery takes place between nine months and one year.
  • Fractures or dislocations which cause severe immediate symptoms and chronic conditions, leading to impaired function or limitation of activities.
  • Injuries usually involving serious fractures or disc damage leading to disability, such as substantial loss of movement or loss of function in one or more limbs.
  • Caused by asbestos
  • Varying levels of respiratory disability and reduced lung function (1-10% and in excess of 10%)
  • Severe pain and impairment of the pleura (lung lining) or the peritoneum (lining of the abdominal cavity), affecting function and quality of life.
  • Causing respiratory disability attributed to asbestos exposure.
  • Causing permanent damage, impairment of function, physical disability and reduction of life expectancy.
  • Such as soft tissue damage causing considerable pain but recovery almost complete within two years.
  • Such as frozen shoulder causing limitation of movement and discomfort for up to two years.
  • Causing pain in shoulder and neck, aching in elbow, weakness of arm and hand.
  • Involving damage to the brachial plexus and resulting in significant disability.
  • Temporary or permanent disability as a result of a fracture.
  • Such as strains, sprains, disc prolapses and soft tissue injuries.
  • Such as disturbances of ligaments and muscles causing backache, or compression fracture.
  • Injuries causing severe pain and disability, including impaired bladder, bowel and sexual function.
  • Resulting in significant or permanent disability
  • Most elbow injuries such as simple fractures, laceration and tennis elbow, not resulting in permanent damage or impairment.
  • Injuries causing impairment of function but not involving major surgery or significant disabilty
  • Injuries such as deep lacerations, soft tissue wounds or crush injuries, all recovering within six months.
  • Resulting in impairment of grip or reduced mechanical function. Partial amputations resulting in deformity.
  • Injuries such as a thumb being severed and re-attached, leaving it with little use, amputation of the tip or at the joint of the thumb. Nerve damage or fracture resulting in impaired grip or dexterity.
  • Amputation resulting in very little use and weak grip.
  • Amputation due to crush injuries, or loss of a significant part of the hand due to traumatic injury.
  • Serious injury resulting in extensive damage to both hands, effectively leaving them with little use.
  • Caused by repeated vibration, damage to hands including impaired grip, dexterity and frequent pain.
  • Such as an uncomplicated fracture with full or virtual recovery.
  • Injuries resulting in significant permanent disability, but some useful movement remains.
  • Injuries causing some permanent disability, such as persistent pain and stiffness.
  • Resulting in complete loss of function in the wrist, for example when an arthrodesis has been performed.
  • Such as a broken femur, tibia or fibular
  • Serious fracture or injuries to joints or ligaments, scarring, instability and lengthy treatment required.
  • Fractures where a full recovery is not made.
  • Loss of a leg below the knee
  • Loss of a leg above the knee
  • Both legs being lost above the knee, below the knee, or where one leg has been lost above the knee and the other below.
  • Torn cartilage or meniscus, laceration, twisting and bruising. May be full recovery, or continued aches and pains.
  • Injury or damage causing mild disability or continuing pain, discomfort or limited movement that may require future surgery.
  • Fractures, joint or ligament damage causing constant pain, impairing movement and agility. Requiring prolonged treatment, the injured person will be prone to osteoarthritis.
  • Including fractures where there is full recovery within two years.
  • Significant injury but any permanent disability is not major. Injury may require a hip replacement.
  • Such as extensive fractures resulting in substantial disabilities.
  • Simple metatarsal fractures, ruptured ligaments.
  • Displaced metatarsal fractures resulting in permanent deformity.
  • Fractures to feet resulting in restricted mobility and /or considerable continuing pain.
  • Crush or multiple fractures to two or more toes, resulting in permanent disability.
  • Undisplaced fractures, sprains and ligament injuries.
  • For fractures and ligament tears resulting in moderate disability, such as difficulty walking on uneven ground or on stairs.
  • Injuries involving long periods of treatment, long period in plaster and some permanent disability.

Simply fill in our form below and we’ll call you back at a time to suit you.

Or talk to our team on:
0808 271 6198

There are other types of compensation you could be awarded through your accident such as loss of earnings or damage to property. The estimates given here are simply for your personal injury claim.

First4Lawyers' solicitors will be able to give you the best idea of the amount you should expect from your individual injury.

It is important to keep in mind that every case is different and the advice and estimates you'll be given, once your case has started, will be tailored specifically for your case.

How long do I have to make a claim?

For most personal injury claims, there is a three-year deadline from the date of the accident.

Although this may sound like a long time, it’s a good idea to start your claim as soon as you can. This is because it may be more straightforward to get hold of any necessary evidence if you begin the process sooner rather than later.

Not every personal injury claim will face the same deadline, though.

If you’re claiming on behalf of someone who lacks the mental capacity to claim for themselves, you won’t face a time limit unless they regain capacity.

Meanwhile, someone who was under 18 when they suffered a personal injury will have three years from their 18th birthday to make a claim. That means that a child involved in an accident will be able to make a personal injury claim at any point up until their 21st birthday.

How can I help my solicitor?

By working with your solicitor, you stand the best chance of putting together a strong personal injury claim. This makes it a good idea to get all your information and evidence together as soon as possible.

There are several pieces of evidence you can provide before even beginning your claim, including:

  • Names and contact details of any witnesses to your accident
  • Names and contact details of anyone else involved in the accident
  • Names and contact details of any medical staff who treated your injury after the accident
  • The date, time and location of your accident
  • A crime number provided by police when you reported the incident
  • Number plates of any vehicles involved in the accident
  • Dash cam footage of your accident
  • Photos and video of the accident scene
  • Photos and video of your injury – when it happened and as it progressed
  • A diary of your symptoms and how severe they have been

You’re also able to request access to CCTV footage. If there were any cameras in the vicinity of your accident, it’s a good idea to see if you can get hold of a recording at the time of the incident. It may be easier to do so soon after the accident.

Your lawyer will advise you what other evidence they may need to put forward the strongest possible case.

Will I have to go to court?

Most personal injury claims don’t end up in court. Your solicitor will work hard to agree a settlement with the responsible party’s insurer before it ends up in court.

When your lawyer agrees that you have a strong claim, they will start the process of investigating what happened to you. They will compile the necessary evidence and put together their case, stating how your accident and injury has affected you. They will have to prove:

  • Negligence

Essentially, your solicitor will have to prove that a breach in the responsible party’s duty of care happened. This could be that another driver was not taking the proper care when behind the wheel or that a local council did not fulfil its duty of care by maintaining public roads of pavements.

  • Causation

It will also be up to your lawyer to prove that the responsible party’s negligence caused your accident and was responsible for the injury you suffered. This is why you will likely have a medical assessment as part of your claim. A medical expert will carry out an examination and issue a report detailing how you have been affected by your accident.

  • Quantum

This refers to the value of your claim. Your solicitor will use the medical examination and report they arrange to value your personal injury claim. They will also rely on previous claims with similarities to yours, as well as the Judicial College Guidelines for the Assessment of General Damages in Personal Injury Cases to value your claim.

After their investigations, your solicitor will then present your claim to the other side, who will either admit or deny liability. This is when negotiation begins. Your solicitor will try to get the responsible party to accept that they were responsible and they will try to come to an agreement about the level of compensation you deserve.

Your claim will only end up in court if your solicitor and the other party can’t agree on liability or compensation level. Even when a court date is arranged, the responsible party will often admit liability or agree on a compensation amount right before you are due to appear.

How can First4Lawyers help?

Our team is experienced in all forms of personal injury claims. We understand how distressing this time is and our compassionate and friendly advisors do all we can to make it less stressful for you.

We have won multiple awards for our dedication to helping people like you, who have been hurt unexpectedly and through no fault of their own. We have also helped thousands of people secure the compensation they were entitled to – like Mrs Marshall, who received £100,000 for her broken wrist.

First4Lawyers works with expert personal injury lawyers, who share our determination to put things right when they’ve gone wrong. With our solicitors, your claim will be in the best hands possible.

If you need any help with your claim or if you’re unsure whether you have a claim, just get in touch. We’re happy to talk you through your situation and what your options are. Just give us a call, request a call back or start your claim online.

Why choose First4Lawyers?

Whether you want to make an accident and injury claim, or need a solicitor for personal or business law matters - our friendly team are here to help, 24/7.

  • image/svg+xml


    Our fully trained legal advisors are happy to offer initial guidance for free

  • image/svg+xml


    We provide a transparent, friendly service with no hidden costs or catches

  • image/svg+xml


    We offer advice with no obligation. We never cold-call or apply pressure to our customers

Personal Injury Claim FAQs

How do I make a personal injury claim?

Just get in contact with us! Our experts will assess the details of your claim and advise you whether you have a case.

We don’t believe in encouraging false claims, so we’ll only advise you to start a claim if we believe you have grounds for doing so.

If you decide to start your claim with us, our advisors will talk you through the next part of the process.

An independent panel of solicitors, selected by First4Lawyers, will determine what your claim is likely to be worth if you are successful.

You’ll then enter into an agreement with your solicitor who will be acting on your behalf to make your claim.

They will then file a letter of claim to the person responsible for causing your accident (the defendant).

For more answers, take a look at our guide to making a claim.

Can I get compensation even if no one was convicted?

Yes, you can still claim compensation even if the person responsible for the criminal assault isn’t convicted or brought to justice.

You can do this through the government-backed Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA).


Can I make a public liability claim?

It depends on whether the accident occurred due to the actions or negligence of those responsible for the area where you had the accident.

Claims for accidents in public places are quite common, often as a result of poor highway maintenance, something for which local councils are directly responsible.

If you’ve been injured in an accident on public property, you may be able to claim compensation for your injuries.

To find out if you have a claim, just call one of our legal advisors who will assess your case and advise you of your next step.

You can also find more information on our slips, trips and falls claims page.

Can I claim against the council?

Yes, if your accident happened in a location for which the council are responsible.

Local councils are responsible for the maintenance of such things as:

  • Roads
  • Pavements and sidewalks
  • Public parks
  • Libraries
  • Most schools and colleges, which aren’t privately run
  • Town and city squares
  • Community centres
  • Council houses/flats

For all of the above, the council are directly responsible for ensuring that each are maintained to the highest possible standard, posing no health and safety risks whatsoever.

Despite that, some errors are made either through a lack of regular upkeep or poor maintenance.

One common example of how a local council could be deemed responsible for an accident is if someone sustained an injury after tripping over a cracked or poorly maintained pavement. In this case, the council is at fault for not keeping the pavement in good condition and causing a hazard to the public using it.

Our experts have dealt with numerous cases in which a person has been injured in a public place, which could have otherwise been avoided if it was properly maintained by the local authority.

If you’ve had an accident in a public place and are unsure if you’re eligible to claim compensation, have a chat to our experts who will assess the circumstances of your accident and offer advice on your next steps.

You can read more information on how we can help with slip, trip or fall claims.

Can I claim if my accident happened while I was abroad?

Yes, you can still claim if you had an accident while abroad.  But it can be more complex due to varying laws in other countries.

Accidents abroad are very common and can happen to anyone. Some of the most common accidents can include things such as suffering food poisoning from the hotel restaurant, slipping on a wet floor in a hotel or tripping over on a poorly-maintained footpath.

Other scenarios you may be able to claim compensation for include: sport-related accidents from using damaged, faulty or poorly-maintained equipment, sustaining an injury during an arranged excursion and road traffic accidents (including accidents when travelling as a passenger in a car, coach or taxi).

Those who booked their trip with a travel agent or as part of a package holiday are more likely to be able to claim against the travel company once returning to the UK, as opposed to the services used abroad (such as a hotel or restaurant).

At First4Lawyers, we work with solicitors who are experienced in making claims for accidents that have happened abroad, for people who were either on holiday or travelling on a business trip. Contact us for a no-obligation chat.


It seems you are using an outdated browser.

This will impair your browsing experience around the web. Please visit one of the links below to update to a modern browser then re-open the site with the new browser.

Thank you


Can't find what you are looking for?

We are open as normal during the Coronavirus lockdown and are able to help with all your legal needs.

Call us free of charge

0800 567 7866

Request a Callback

Continue browsing