Road Traffic Accidents Abroad

If you've had a car accident in another country, you might need help to make a compensation claim in the UK.


Fill in our simple form and get a call back at a time to suit you.
Alternatively our team are on hand 24/7 to discuss your case.
You can call them on:
0800 567 7866

Driving in another country is often quite different to driving in the UK, but there's only so much you can prepare for. And you can't account for the actions of other motorists.

If you should be unfortunate enough to be involved in a car accident while abroad, don't panic - First4Lawyers are experts in seeking access to justice and compensation for any road accident.

Our specialists understand how to review your case and determine whether you have a claim.

What are car accidents abroad?

Car accidents abroad are on-road collisions and accidents which happen while driving in a foreign country. Among the things that could happen are:

  • Accidents caused by another driver
  • Collisions involving motorcyclists
  • Passengers being involved in accidents
  • People falling victim to hit-and-run incidents
  • Pedestrians being struck by negligent drivers

Injuries that could develop following accidents might include whiplash, broken bones or, in extreme cases, the loss of arms or legs.

Who can I claim against?

After Brexit, the rules around car accidents in the EU may be more complicated. In these situations, it's best to get legal advice as soon as possible. If you were involved in an accident with an uninsured driver in an EU country, it’s possible to claim through the Motor Insurers' Bureau to pursue compensation. You could be able to claim through the equivalent organisation in the country your accident happened in.

If your accident happened in a non-EU country, who you claim against will depend on the situation. Your solicitor will offer you further guidance once they know what happened to you.

More about making a claim.

How much can I claim?

The amount of compensation you can claim depends on the extent of your injuries. A whiplash injury will be worth up to £3,810, while more severe neck injuries compensation starts at £57,620. You can also take a look at our Compensation Calculator to give you an idea of the award amounts you may be eligible for.

How long do I have to make a claim?

For car accidents abroad, you typically have up to three years to make a claim. Once you have made sure that you have recovered as well as possible, you should contact First4Lawyers, as our team of solicitors can give you some much-needed support during this time, as well as getting your claim started, and telling you about any No Win No Fee options for your case.

Only pay a fee if you receive compensation

Our No Win No Fee solicitors will take a success fee from the compensation you are awarded for a successful claim in the form of a percentage of your damages. This could be up to 25% but it won't be more than that, except in cases of road traffic accidents and housing disrepair. Changing laws mean our solicitors will now take a payment of 35% of the final compensation amount plus VAT for all road traffic accident and housing disrepair claims.

First4Lawyers are an award-winning claims management company with a track record of delivering service that our clients love.

I’ve had a car accident abroad, what should I do?

After finding out how serious your injury is, contact us for a no-obligation chat about your situation. You can claim online, call us using the number at the top of the screen, or request a call back and we'll call at your chosen time.

One of our legal advisors will explain the process to you. A solicitor will then send a letter to the driver at fault and the claim will begin.


It seems you are using an outdated browser.

This will impair your browsing experience around the web. Please visit one of the links below to update to a modern browser then re-open the site with the new browser.

Thank you


Can't find what you are looking for?

We are open as normal during the Coronavirus lockdown and are able to help with all your legal needs.

Call us free of charge

0800 567 7866

Request a Callback

Continue browsing