Is your housing association or council home in disrepair?

You should be safe in your rental home! By law your landlord must make sure your rental home is fit for human habitation. If they don't keep your rental home safe, you could claim £££ in compensation and force your landlord to fic the issue.

What is housing disrepair?

If you are renting a property from a council or housing association, and the house (or flat) needs repairs for it to be considered safe and appropriate to live in, then this is considered housing disrepair.

Disrepair can involve different issues with the property including:
Leaks - if there is water leakage in the property then this could be classed as housing disrepair. It could be a significant leak or a small but persistent leak coming into the property caused by issues with things like guttering, roofing or pipework. Water leaks can cause significant damage - especially over time - including to plasterboard and furnishings, and cause damage such as rotting and instability in the structure. If left unrepaired, further damage could be cause with issues such as damp and mould, which both represent risks to heath, especially if there is exposure over an extended period of time.

Mould and damp - as mentioned above, but this could also be caused by other issues such as poor ventilation - including not having or working extractor fans or windows located close to or in rooms such as bathrooms and kitchens - or excessive condensation (with other factors can contribute to this).

Structural - if you have experienced damage to your ceiling, interior/exterior walls, flooring or window/door frames, these can all be classed as structural damage. It could be cracks appearing in these that affect their strength, which ultimately could affect their integrity and ability to stay intact (and support other structures / features as appropriate). These can be caused by various things but as long as the issue has been reported, your council or housing associate has an obligation to review your cause for complaint, and attempt to remedy within a reasonable time frame if indeed is a relevant and valid issue.

More on Housing Disrepair claims ...

Can I claim for Housing Disrepair?

If you have been renting from a council or housing association for at least 12 months, have reported the issue (which began within the last five and a half years), then you could be eligible to make a housing disrepair claim.

You may have also experienced health issues as a result of the housing disrepair, but this is not essential for you to make a claim. Answer some quick questions in our form and see if you are eligible to claim thousands in compensation.

Only pay a fee if you receive compensation

Our No Win No Fee solicitors will take a success fee from the compensation you are awarded for a successful claim in the form of a percentage of your damages. This could be up to 25% but it won't be more than that, except in cases of road traffic accidents and housing disrepair. Changing laws mean our solicitors will now take a payment of 35% of the final compensation amount plus VAT for all road traffic accident and housing disrepair claims.

First4Lawyers are an award-winning claims management company with a track record of delivering service that our clients love.


It seems you are using an outdated browser.

This will impair your browsing experience around the web. Please visit one of the links below to update to a modern browser then re-open the site with the new browser.

Thank you


Can't find what you are looking for?

We are open as normal during the Coronavirus lockdown and are able to help with all your legal needs.

Call us free of charge

0800 567 7866

Request a Callback

Continue browsing