Claims for accidents in public places

If you’ve been injured in a public place, you may have a public liability claim. First4Lawyers can help.


Fill in our simple form and get a call back at a time to suit you.
Alternatively our team are on hand 24/7 to discuss your case.
You can call them on:
0800 567 7866

When can you make a public place injury claim?

Public places can often get very busy, and crowded areas can become hazardous if they are not well organised.

Businesses, councils and public bodies have a duty of care to ensure the safety of members of public attending their premises.  

If they don’t and you are injured as a result – possibly after a slip, trip or fall – you may be able to make a public liability claim. All businesses and organisations in the UK are required to have public liability insurance to cover personal injury claims. 

This applies to spaces like:

  • Parks
  • Playgrounds
  • Gyms and leisure centres
  • Beaches
  • Restaurants
  • Concert venues
  • Theatres and cinemas
  • Public car parks
  • Supermarkets

How can First4Lawyers help?

We have years of experience with public liability claims and will work with you to establish what happened and who was at fault, before building a case.

Our solicitors pursue the claim, including representing you at court if it goes that far. We also offer No Win No Fee for personal injury cases.

Only pay a fee if you receive compensation

Where we offer No Win No Fee services typically customers pay 25%* of the amount recovered by our solicitors, although this will be subject to your individual circumstances and the actual fee may be less than this. Success fees are common practice and they were introduced when the law changed in April 2013.

First4Lawyers are an award-winning claims management company with a track record of delivering service that our clients love.

*Excluding Road Traffic Accident related claims where the accident happened on or after 31st May 2021. Here customers you will typically pay 30% + VAT due to changes introduced through Civil Liability Act 2018.

How much compensation will I receive for a public place injury claim?

That very much depends on your injury and how severe it is. Our compensation calculator gives an idea of the amounts you could be awarded, but a chat with our legal advisors will give you advice tailored to your individual circumstances.

Is there a time limit for making a claim for an accident in a public place?

There is usually a three-year period, from the date your public place accident and resulting injury occurred.

I think I have a public place accident claim, what do I do next?

You should make sure you seek the best medical attention to treat the injuries you suffered. This has the benefit of noting the injuries you sustained in your medical records.

Then get in touch with us for a free consultation. We’ll ask you about your situation and advise you of your options.

It’s a good idea to have details of the accident, such as any photos of what caused the accident. Witnesses are also extremely useful in helping us to prove the case. We will, of course, also need dates, location and details of your injury, so having these to hand will be useful.


It seems you are using an outdated browser.

This will impair your browsing experience around the web. Please visit one of the links below to update to a modern browser then re-open the site with the new browser.

Thank you

Pop up test

Testing pop-up text


Can't find what you are looking for?

We are open as normal during the Coronavirus lockdown and are able to help with all your legal needs.

Call us free of charge

0800 567 7866

Request a Callback

Continue browsing