How to Transfer Property Ownership

Whether you’re adding or removing a name from a house’s ownership record, transferring property possession can be a daunting prospect. But it doesn’t have to be with the right guidance.

How to transfer your property

  1. Fill in an AP1 form.
  2. Make certain whether you’re transferring all or part of the property.
  3. Fill in an ID1 identity form.
  4. Find enough money to pay the fee.
  5. Send the information to the Land Registry Office.

You might want to transfer property ownership because you’ve got married and want to add a name to the deeds, or you could be giving your house to a child or family member. Or it may be that death or divorce means records need to be updated.

Here we’ll take you through each step involved and help you understand what you need to know to make the process run without any legal hiccups.

If you think your situation might require some additional support – or you want to leave the documentation to a professional – the property transfer solicitors at First4lawyers are here to help. Contact us for a chat about your situation.

If you want an idea of how much you might need to pay to transfers ownership, use our conveyancing calculator.

Fill in the AP1 form

The form used to change the Land Registry details is called an AP1, and can be downloaded from the government website. A variety of information is required on this form, including:

  • Information of the former owner
  • Information of the person the property is being transferred to
  • The fees
  • Any conveyancer involvement
  • Details of the property

If you're transferring with a mortgage

If there’s a mortgage attached to the property, and it will remain on the property following the transfer, you’ll need to be given permission from the lender before the process of transfer can begin.

The lender will usually want to perform a credit check, and to make the new owners liable for repayments along with the original mortgage owners. You’ll need to fill in this information on the AP1 application form.

Choose to transfer the full property or part of a property

Perhaps you have a shared mortgage, where one person owns a larger portion of the property than the other person, and you need a property transfer to reflect this. In other cases you might want to transfer the full ownership.

In both of these cases, there are different forms to fill out in line with the percentage of ownership being transferred.

  • The transfer of whole ownership form, which is known as a TR1, requires information about the personal details of the transferee, the reasons for transfer, and details surrounding the property and the transfer.
  • The part transfer of ownership form, a TP1, contains much of the same information, alongside details about what part of the property will be transferred, and details of the parts that are not being transferred.

Fill in the application form

An identification form needs to be filled out if you are not transferring the property using a conveyancer. The form, which is called an ID1, requires a range of personal information, such as your name, address, contact details, employment details, and so on. You must also supply a form of ID, such as a passport or driving license.

Find the fee

The Land Registry charges a range of different fees, including three different types of property transfer. Find the correct fee using the fees calculator. The three types are:

  • Transfer part for value: Put in the monetary value of the transaction, which will be used to calculate the fee.
  • Transfer of registered land – not for value: This is classed as a Scale 2, which you will need to highlight on the transfer form.
  • Transfer of whole for vale: Put in the monetary value of the transaction, which will be used to calculate the fee.

Send the information to the land registry

All of the documents you’ve filled in, alongside the fees and ID, need to be sent to the Land Registry. The standard address for the public is:

Land Registry Citizen Centre,
PO Box 74,
GL14 9BB.

Want to speak to a professional conveyancer?

Some of the jargon used in these forms can be confusing, and understanding which ones to choose can become overwhelming. You can avoid the stress by working with a conveyancer, who will explain exactly what’s needed and guide you every step of the way.

First4Lawyers works with experienced conveyancers who have years of experience in this field of law. Contact us today to be matched with the best solicitor for your circumstances.

More about property and conveyancing services


Note: First4Lawyers offers this information as guidance, not advice. Before taking any action, you should seek professional assistance tailored to your personal circumstances and not rely on First4Lawyers’ online information alone.

Get in touch today to discuss your requirements 08005677866

It seems you are using an outdated browser.

This will impair your browsing experience around the web. Please visit one of the links below to update to a modern browser then re-open the site with the new browser.

Thank you


Can't find what you are looking for?

We are open as normal during the Coronavirus lockdown and are able to help with all your legal needs.

Call us free of charge

0800 567 7866

Request a Callback

Continue browsing