Vaginal mesh implant claims

Have you suffered adverse reactions to vaginal mesh implant surgery? The issue of urinary incontinence, bladder and pelvic organ prolapse is a sensitive matter, but ongoing health problems with the mesh surgery used to treat the condition has led to many women seeking medical negligence legal advice.

Get in Touch

Request a callback at a time that is convenient to you, or call us 24/7 on 08005677866

Fill in your form below and our experts will be in touch for a free, no-obligation consultation about your situation

What are vaginal mesh implants?

Controversy over its safety, and a report by The Independent Medicines and Medical Devices Safety Review, has resulted in government suspending the use of vaginal mesh surgery for urinary incontinence.

Also known as urogynaecological mesh or transvaginal mesh, it's a procedure which is most commonly used to treat pelvic organ, such as bladder, prolapse and stress urinary incontinence.

Mesh implants, more generally, are also the NHS-recommended treatment for hernias. They are made of a type of plastic called polypropylene and are net-like structures, often in the form of tape, ribbon and mesh.

Inserted using keyhole or open surgery, they act as a barrier and help repair damaged or weakened tissue by forming a support for the tissue to grow over.

What is the issue?

NHS data suggests one in 15 women will experience problems with vaginal mesh implants, resulting in them having to have more surgery to have them removed.

Typical symptoms include:

  • Pain in the surgical area
  • Pain when walking or running
  • Painful sex
  • Pressure or pulling sensation in the vagina or pelvis
  • Incontinence
  • Constipation – difficulty going to the toilet

I have these symptoms, what should I do?

The symptoms don’t always occur straight after surgery. In some cases it has been years later.

If you are experiencing pain and discomfort and you think it might be due to mesh surgery you have received, the first thing is to seek medical advice as soon as you can. It is best to get advice from a specialist medical professional and your doctor can refer you to one.

They will assess your symptoms and evaluate whether the mesh implant is likely to be the cause of your pain and suffering.

You might also like to get in touch with our specialist solicitors, who will give you free, no-obligation legal advice about medical negligence and your rights.

How the claim process works


Get in touch

You can contact us 24/7 online or by phone, or use our callback form to request a callback at a time convenient to you


Discuss your situation

One of our friendly, legally trained advisors will get in touch with you. They will assess whether you have a claim and match you with the right solicitor for the case


Manage your claim

Our specialist No Win No Fee* solicitors will then manage the entire claim from start to finish, helping you get the justice and compensation you deserve

Can I claim for medical negligence?

Many people are beginning to take medical negligence action against the NHS for the suffering they have experienced due to vaginal mesh implants. We recommend you start exploring your claim as soon as possible, to allow our expert solicitors to help you through this difficult time, with the minimum of fuss and stress.

We understand that claiming may not be the first thing on your mind, as you should take the time to emotionally and physically recover as best as you can. However, for severe injuries to the cervical area, compensation could be as much as £93,500. It does depend on how serious the damage is, as well as the short or long-ranging financial implications. More about making a claim

I've had problems with vaginal mesh implants - what should I do?

If you have suffered after having implants, then you should contact us at First4Lawyers to make a claim as soon as you are ready to do so.

We'll take the stress out of making a claim, ensuring that you have all the help and assistance you need. You can either complete our online form, or get in touch through the number at the top of the screen.

Get in touch today - we can help with your claim 08005677866

Frequently asked questions

Can I call you for free advice?

Yes, our team of friendly experts are more than happy to help, and will answer any questions you have regarding a claim, even if you’re unsure whether you’re eligible.

Contact us for a free and confidential discussion.

Can I make a claim online?

Yes, you can either start your claim online, or by calling us using the number at the top of the screen.

If you want to start your claim now, simply enter a few details into our online claim form, and one of our legal advisors will call you back to discuss your claim in more detail.

When completing the form, you’ll need to describe the type of accident you’ve been involved in, for example: road traffic accident, slip, trip or fall, medical negligence etc. (you can select the appropriate option from a drop down menu).

You should also write a brief description of your accident, including details on what happened and when, if you were injured in the accident and what your injuries were. This helps us to understand the nature of your accident, so that one of our experts will be able to advise you on your next steps.

We’ll also need a few contact details, including your full name, telephone number as well as an alternative telephone number (in case we’re unable to reach you). You can also include your email address, if you’d prefer us to email you with further details.

Let us know what time it’s best for us to call you back - we understand that it’s not always convenient for you to talk, so we'll call at that pre-arranged time, when you'll be expecting us.

Making a claim online will help to save you time and will ensure that you receive a phone call back from us as soon as possible. During the call, we will ask you a few questions about your accident and advise you if you’re eligible to make a claim, and if so, what you can do next.

Start your claim online now

Will I have to attend a medical?

Yes, you’ll need to have a medical examination to make a personal injury claim.

It's to provide proof that your injury was caused by the accident and to allow your solicitors to value your claim.

Am I entitled to make a medical negligence claim?

Yes, if you have been let down by a healthcare professional, or have suffered as a result of substandard care, then you could make a claim for medical negligence and be compensated for the poor level of care you have received.

What’s more, by making a claim, you’re bringing those responsible to justice, and could prevent someone else from receiving similarly poor care in the future.

Medical negligence can be defined as:

  • Poor care received in a hospital
  • Misdiagnosis of an illness or injury
  • Substandard operations
  • Being given the wrong prescription medicine

However it happens, medical negligence can be serious and in some cases, even traumatic.

If you’ve received substandard medical care and are unsure if you have a case to make a claim, you can speak to one of our legal experts, who will advise you on whether or not you’re eligible to make a claim for compensation.

I've been the victim of medical negligence. What should I do?

If you have suffered as a result of medical negligence, it’s important to act as soon as possible to prevent your illness or injury from getting worse over time.

Additionally, it’s important to be compensated for your injuries and your claim could bring those responsible to justice, preventing similar substandard care from affecting someone else.

If you believe you have been the victim of medical negligence, our experts are on hand to advise you on what to do next:

  • You should seek medical advice from a trustworthy medical practitioner and have your injury or illness assessed to determine if you are receiving the right treatment to recover.
  • Contact a legal expert with a background in medical negligence cases. One of our fully qualified and pre-screened solicitors will assess your case and advise whether or not you have a claim.
  • Identify who is at fault for medical negligence. In the vast majority of cases, healthcare professionals such as GPs, doctors and surgeons are responsible for your health and well-being, so if anything goes wrong under their care, then they are at fault.

Recovering from surgery after an illness or injury can be stressful, and we don’t believe that you should suffer further as a result of ill-advice and poor care. If you believe that you have been the victim of medical negligence, then our experts will give you the advice you need to take your case forward.

Whatever the circumstances, you’re within your rights to know for sure if you can make a compensation claim. We will do our very best to take you through the claiming process, so you can concentrate on making a full recovery.  
Contact us today

How do I make a claim for medical negligence?

All you need to do is contact us.  We will take it from there.

At First4Lawyers, we will always refer your case to solicitors who are experts in dealing with medical negligence claims.

It's then their job to prove you have received sub-standard care, deserving of compensation.  They will work with you throughout the process, keeping you updated as the case progresses to ensure you get the best possible outcome.

Need more answers? Our guide on how to file a medical negligence case explains more about what you need to know.

Can I claim against a private healthcare company?

Yes, you can make a medical negligence claim against a private healthcare company.

All hospitals or healthcare providers will have a private insurance company to cover claims like this.

See our guide on 'how to complain to a private healthcare company'.

How long does a medical negligence claim take?

Every case is unique so there is no set time limit for the case to be settled.

As an average guideline, standard cases can take between 12 and 18 months to be settled, but this is by no means a definitive timeline.

Can I make a No Win No Fee* claim for medical negligence?

Yes, No Win No Fee* arrangements can be agreed for medical negligence cases. When you contact First4Lawyers, we’ll be able to tell you if you are likely to have a case, and can arrange a No Win No Fee* agreement.

If you live in Scotland or Northern Ireland you cannot use No Win No Fee* agreements in medical negligence cases. 

Customers rate us 'excellent'

We have a five star score from thousands of reviews on Trustpilot

Read reviews

Award-winning care

Six time award winners for personal injury services

About our awards
PI Awards Banner 2018

What is medical negligence?

If you've received substandard medical care, you may have a claim for medical negligence. (Duration - 1:35)

Start a claim enquiry

Related news

News & Resources
Medical Negligence

Cervical Cancer Screening Week begins

Estimated reading time: 3 mins

Cervical Cancer Screening Week has kicked off. Intended to encourage women to get screened for the disease, the campaign is highlighting the importance of getting tested.

Carrie Tennick, June 10, 2019

Read more
Medical Negligence

Not all body parts should be automatically donated, say proposals

Estimated reading time: 2 mins

Proposals for the new presumed consent organ donation system, which comes into force in England next year, say that some body parts should be excluded.

Alice Sanderson, May 09, 2019

Read more
Medical Negligence

Extra scan could help prevent breech deliveries say researchers

Estimated reading time: 2 mins, 35 secs

Researchers say pregnant women could be spared from risky breech deliveries by an extra ultrasound scan at 36 weeks.

Alice Sanderson, April 23, 2019

Read more
Get in touch today - we can help with your claim 08005677866

It seems you are using an outdated browser.

This will impair your browsing experience around the web. Please visit one of the links below to update to a modern browser then re-open the site with the new browser.

Thank you


Can't find what you are looking for?

We are open as normal during the Coronavirus lockdown and are able to help with all your legal needs.

Call us free of charge

0800 567 7866

Request a Callback

Continue browsing