Accidents in hotels abroad

After working hard to save for a well-deserved holiday in the sun the last thing you want is to end up cutting your trip short or being stuck in bed or hospital because of an accident in the hotel that wasn’t your fault.

Get in Touch

Request a callback at a time that is convenient to you, or call us 24/7 on 08005677866

Fill in your form below and our experts will be in touch for a free, no-obligation consultation about your situation

What does hotel accidents cover?

The term ‘accidents in hotels’ does not just cover slips, trips or falls caused by someone else’s negligence, it also covers any illness caused by poor hygiene such as food poisoning and bed bugs.

First4Lawyers are here to help you make a claim for compensation if you have suffered an accident or illness abroad.

Our expert advisors will assess your case before guiding you through the claims process. Then one of our specialist accident abroad solicitors will manage your case to the end.

What should you do if you have suffered an accident in your hotel?

Your immediate priority will be to seek treatment for any injury you have suffered. However there are a number of steps you can take to help support your case for compensation following an accident in a hotel:

  • Seek treatment
    Go to the local doctors or hospital for treatment and ask for a record of any treatment given.
  • Pictures
    Take pictures of where the accident occurred. Try and include close-up shots of any defects that may have caused the accident. Use things like a coin, box of matches or a mobile phone next to the defect to show the scale of the defect.
  • Inform
    Let your rep and the hotel know about the accident as soon as possible.
  • Record
    Ask them to record details of the incident in their accident book.
  • Witnesses
    Take the details of any witnesses so they can be contacted at a later date.

Don’t worry if you haven’t managed to do any of the above, we can still help you make a case for compensation but it is important that you contact us as soon as possible so we can get your claim started.

Have you booked a package holiday?

If you have booked a package holiday then you benefit from the protection of the Package Travel Regulations.

It is these regulations that enable us to make a claim on your behalf - they cover you throughout your holiday on all aspects, including:

  • Car hire/coach transfer
  • Accommodation
  • Flights
  • Excursions

What doesn't count as a package holiday?

It should be made clear to you that transport and accommodation is being booked separately when you book, for example one booking for the airline and one for the accommodation.

You may use the same website to make the booking, but if they are from different providers then it is not a package holiday.

The package holiday regulations are not to be confused with ATOL holiday protection, which covers losing money, being stranded abroad and flight delays/cancellations.

How the claim process works


Get in touch

You can contact us 24/7 online or by phone, or use our callback form to request a callback at a time convenient to you


Discuss your situation

One of our friendly, legally trained advisors will get in touch with you. They will assess whether you have a claim and match you with the right solicitor for the case


Manage your claim

Our specialist No Win No Fee* solicitors will then manage the entire claim from start to finish, helping you get the justice and compensation you deserve

Time limits on making a claim

Typically you have to make a claim for any injury or accident within three years of the accident happening.

However if you were 18 or under when the accident happened then the time period is different.

The rules for accidents in hotels abroad are no different and it is always best to make your claim as soon as possible while the facts of the case remain fresh.

Our fully qualified legal advisors are on hand to answer any questions you may have about making a claim for an accident in a hotel.

Stay safe on holiday – tips on how to prevent accidents happening

  • Wear appropriate footwear around the pool.
  • Report any slippery or uneven surfaces.
  • Check for any faulty appliances or sharp objects in your hotel room.
  • Hire from reputable organisations – make sure if you hire a moped or car it has been well maintained and is safe.
  • Think safety – just because you are on holiday doesn’t mean you become indestructible – if you are doing a sporting activity or hiring a moped then wear the appropriate safety gear.
  • Know your limits – enjoy yourself but know when to stop especially with alcohol and too much time in the sun.
Get in touch today - we can help with your claim 08005677866

Frequently asked questions

I've had an accident while I was abroad. Who do I claim against?

When on holiday abroad you are ultimately entrusting your safety to the tour operator that you booked your holiday through.

If you’ve suffered an accident or food poisoning in a hotel then the tour operator or hotel owners will be held responsible for your safety and well-being whilst staying with them.

Accidents on flights are down to the airline or tour operator, and it's the latter who have a duty to ensure that you are safe for the duration of your trip abroad.

If you have had an accident abroad related to your work then your employer will be responsible for your health and safety. They will have the appropriate insurance policies to cover the costs of any compensation claims but they have a duty of care to ensure the accident you’ve suffered doesn’t happen to anyone else.

In most cases those responsible for causing a road traffic accident will be held liable for compensating the victim of the accident.

However road traffic accidents abroad are slightly more complex than those in the UK depending on the country of the accident and whether you were in a car, coach or other vehicles.

One of our trained legal advisors will assess your accident for free to let you know if you have a claim. 

Are there exceptions to making an accident abroad claim?

Yes, if you were on holiday, it should usually be part of a package holiday (flights + accommodation booked together) to be eligible to make a claim.

For road traffic accidents abroad there are some limitations to what you can claim, depending on the laws within that country.

Our legal advisors can give you advice on your particular situation.  Just give them a call, or request a callback.

Are there jurisdiction limits to accident abroad claims?

There are very few jurisdictional issues as long as the holiday was booked as part of a package holiday (flight + accommodation booked together).

Road traffic accidents are only covered within certain countries in Europe.

Do I need travel insurance to claim for an accident abroad?

No, you don't need to have travel insurance to claim.  But your holiday must be a package deal, where you booked all flights, accommodation etc. together.  

However, if you do have travel insurance it may cover legal expenses.

Our legal advisors would be happy to discuss your claim with you in further detail, with or without travel insurance.

How long do I have to make a claim?

Typically with most personal injury claims you have three years from the date of the accident.

However this varies depending on your individual circumstances.  Contact us to talk through your particular situation.  Assessment is free and there's no obligation or pressure to continue with anything.

How much can I claim?

Claim amounts vary depending on your individual circumstances and the severity of your injuries.  Our compensation calculator can give you an idea of the amounts awarded for different types of injury.

Our legal advisors are on hand to talk you through your options - just give us a call at the top of your screen.

Can I only claim if it was a package holiday?

Yes.  We only deal with claims covered by the Package Holiday Regulations, therefore if you did not book a package holiday (ie. accommodation and travel booked together) then you will not be able to make a claim through us.

However, you may be able to make a claim through your travel insurance, and it is worth contacting them to find out if they can help you.

Can I call you for free advice?

Yes, our team of friendly experts are more than happy to help, and will answer any questions you have regarding a claim, even if you’re unsure whether you’re eligible.

Contact us for a free and confidential discussion.

Can I make a claim online?

Yes, you can either start your claim online, or by calling us using the number at the top of the screen.

If you want to start your claim now, simply enter a few details into our online claim form, and one of our legal advisors will call you back to discuss your claim in more detail.

When completing the form, you’ll need to describe the type of accident you’ve been involved in, for example: road traffic accident, slip, trip or fall, medical negligence etc. (you can select the appropriate option from a drop down menu).

You should also write a brief description of your accident, including details on what happened and when, if you were injured in the accident and what your injuries were. This helps us to understand the nature of your accident, so that one of our experts will be able to advise you on your next steps.

We’ll also need a few contact details, including your full name, telephone number as well as an alternative telephone number (in case we’re unable to reach you). You can also include your email address, if you’d prefer us to email you with further details.

Let us know what time it’s best for us to call you back - we understand that it’s not always convenient for you to talk, so we'll call at that pre-arranged time, when you'll be expecting us.

Making a claim online will help to save you time and will ensure that you receive a phone call back from us as soon as possible. During the call, we will ask you a few questions about your accident and advise you if you’re eligible to make a claim, and if so, what you can do next.

Start your claim online now

How do I know whether I have a claim?

That's what we're here for! 

If you’ve had an accident and you’re not sure if you’re eligible to claim, then call us through the number at the top of the screen and speak to one of our specialist advisors.

We will give you free advice regarding your case and advise you on the potential of your claim, without obligation.

We believe in working honestly and with integrity – we don’t believe in raising expectations and we don’t encourage false claims.

To be eligible to make a compensation claim, there are three key conditions that your case will need to meet:

  • Your accident must have taken place during the last three years. Please note: different rules apply to industrial disease, medical negligence and criminal injury claims, or if you were under 18 when the accident happened.  We will advise accordingly in each of these cases.
  • There must be a person or organisation who is at fault for your accident.
  • Your injuries will have required medical treatment.

If you have any questions, or are unsure if your case meets these requirements, give us a call or complete our online claim form and we'll be in touch shortly.

Can I be compensated for losses as well as my injury?

Yes, you may be entitled to compensation for losses other than your personal injury.

A personal injury claim is split into two parts: general damages and special damages.

  • General damages are paid for the pain and suffering and emotional distress from your physical injury.
  • Special damages relate to damaged belongings or financial losses resulting from the injury.


Will I have to attend a medical?

Yes, you’ll need to have a medical examination to make a personal injury claim.

It's to provide proof that your injury was caused by the accident and to allow your solicitors to value your claim.

How does No Win No Fee* work?

If you win, our solicitors take a percentage of the final compensation up to 25%, and this will be discussed with you before the process begins so that there are no unexpected costs at the end. 

If you lose your case, you do not pay your solicitor any legal fees for the work they've carried out on your behalf.

How is No Win No Fee* different to the legal cover I get through my insurance?

If you have an insurance policy it should cover the cost of legal fees and you may not need to take out a conditional fee (no win no fee*) arrangement.

However, our solicitors will assess this for you and will be able to determine whether your insurance covers the appropriate legal fees

Are there any catches to No Win No Fee*?

No, there are no 'catches'.  Although there are some exceptions in Scotland and Northern Ireland, No Win No Fee* does what it says on the tin: if you don’t win, you don’t pay the solicitor's legal fees.

When discussing your claim, our advisors will be able to assess whether these exceptions apply to you. We’ll always be transparent, so you can be confident that we won’t land you with any hidden costs.

How likely am I to win a No Win No Fee* case?

It depends on the individual circumstances around your claim.

Our legal advisors, who are trained to the highest standard, will discuss the details of your case with you and assess how likely is it to succeed.

This is always discussed with you in your initial phone call so that your time is not wasted and you know where you stand straight away.

I've been injured. Can I make a No Win No Fee* claim?

Yes, if the accident was not your fault, you may have a No Win No Fee* claim.

By discussing your accident with one of our trained legal advisors we can assess whether you have a claim.  We will then be able to find a specialist solicitor to suit your needs.

Get in touch with us to find out more.

Can I claim on behalf of someone else?

Yes, if you are a parent, guardian or close family member you can claim on behalf of someone else.

They must be either under 18 years old, or considered a 'protected party' who is mentally incapable of making their own decision. More about making a claim

What percentage do solicitors take out of my compensation?

Our solicitors may take up to 25% of any compensation they win for you.

However, they will discuss the exact percentage that will be deducted prior to any work happening.

At this stage you are under no obligation to choose a First4Lawyers solicitor.  More about making a claim

Who pays the other side's costs?

As part of a conditional - No Win No Fee* arrangement, any costs are covered by either arranging an insurance policy, or by using any existing legal expenses cover you may have.

The solicitor will discuss any need for, and the suitability of, any insurance with you.  


How do I know if I have a claim?

We will ask you four questions to identify whether you are eligible to make a claim. (Duration – 1:15)

How to make a claim

Customers rate us 'excellent'

We have a five star score from thousands of reviews on Trustpilot

Read reviews

Award-winning care

Six time award winners for personal injury services

About our awards
PI Awards Banner 2018
Get in touch today - we can help with your claim 08005677866

It seems you are using an outdated browser.

This will impair your browsing experience around the web. Please visit one of the links below to update to a modern browser then re-open the site with the new browser.

Thank you


Can't find what you are looking for?

We are open as normal during the Coronavirus lockdown and are able to help with all your legal needs.

Call us free of charge

0800 567 7866

Request a Callback

Continue browsing